This entry features the Debbie Harry Pink Label Barbie Collector doll from the Barbie "Ladies of the 80's" series. Deborah Harry is an American singer, songwriter, and actress. She is perhaps best known as the lead singer of the band Blondie (one of my favorites!).
This week's accompanying story is this. (Go grab that cup of tea!)
I only fell in love with Blondie/Debbie Harry in the last few years. I've always liked their music, but I never got around to actually buying an album or anything. Then, a few years ago, I uploaded the 1981 "The Best of Blondie" cd to my computer, and I listened to it a lot. I started listening to it more and more, and now I'm a bonafide fan. I've really liked Debbie for several years, I saw her in the movie Videodrome and I've seen her in other things as well.
I found out that Barbie made the Debbie Harry doll in 2009. I came across the Barbra Streisand doll at a store, and the Debbie Harry doll was next to it. I decided against the Barbra Barbie, and was considering the Debbie doll. I chose against it for a couple of reasons. One reason was that I wasn't a very big fan (yet) and so I just wasn't sure. The second reason was the hair. I loved how the doll looked, I loved the outfit, and I loved the microphone. I love the 1980's. But her hair didn't look good. The head/hair looked like the manufacturer had glued an extra piece of doll scalp with blonde hair on top of the darker hair underneath. I wasn't sure if the head was actually modified or if the head was normal and the styling was just off. I couldn't open the doll, since I was at the store, so I 'erred on the side of caution' and didn't buy her.
It wasn't too long before I began to regret passing her up. As I started listening to Blondie more and more, and becoming a bigger and bigger fan, I really started kicking myself. Then, 2 or 3 weeks ago, I was given another opportunity. I came across the Debbie Harry Barbie at Big Lots for 25$. The hair on this doll was not odd-looking. An extra unexpected bonus was that it was 'friends and family' day, and I recieved 20% off (5$). So I bought it, and I was very happy. I discovered that the hair was normal, and that it was just the styling that made it look off.
THE DOLL:
THE DEBBIE:
Debbie Harry and Blondie are still around and still rocking. They released their latest studio album, A Panic Of Girls, in 2011. I absolutely love this album. My favorite songs are "What I Heard" and "Mother". I definitely think you should check out this album.
I've had the doll for a couple of weeks now, and I am still happy with it. I always remove the doll from the package and backing, but this time I decided not to. I just love her with the background, and I don't think I could have a better way to display her. So I'm leaving it on, at least for now. I'll have the outer box off, but the cardboard backing is really cool.
HOMEWORK: Has your favorite music artist been made into a doll? Who is your favorite musician?





.jpg)










No comments:
Post a Comment