I bought the Andy Warhol Barbie wearing the Campbell's Soup Can 1 outfit a few days ago. I wanted to share her here for you :) I bought her for her body only, which I will use with another Barbie head. I am not a fan of Warhol, and I do not like this Barbie's eyes. I will find a new home for the head. But I took some photos to feature here.
This doll was released in 2015/2016, so she is not 'new' on the scene. From the Barbie site: Barbie® is the perfect complement to Andy Warhol—two fabulously unforgettable icons! The second doll produced in collaboration with The Andy Warhol Foundation draws its inspiration from the seminal Campbell’s Soup series. Styled with serious attitude, Barbie wears an oversized tee emblazoned with the tomato soup can, faux-fur coat, black leggings, and calf-high white faux-leather boots.
Designer: Linda Kyaw
My Warhol:
The boots are different, they have white bottoms, not black like in the photos online. They are ugly in person, and I will not keep them as I had thought I would.
There are a few comments online criticizing this doll for seeming to not give due credit that it is inspired by Edie Sedgewick, with the eye makeup and chandelier earrings. Do you see a resemblance?
I will keep the leggings, probably the jacket as well. For a Warhol fan, this doll is likely a must-have. I am not very interested in pop art. The articulated pivotal ModelMuse body is why I bought this doll, it is in a light skin tone that is a little harder to get, for me at least. I wish Mattel would sell the bodies separately. I am terribly disappointed with the fingernails. In the photos from the website, they look long and pretty. I was excited to have this body with lovely nails. In person, the hands are the same hands as the other ModelMuse hands, with short/nonexistent nails, and they have been painted poorly as well, which is an issue I've had with them in the past (such as with Sweet Tea). The paint that they do have isn't even on the nail, which is sculpted and harder to see in the photos.
Overall, I don't think this is worth the $45 I paid for it. I don't think most of what Mattel has been releasing is worth the price they ask. It seems that most collectors of the brand share the same view. No wonder Mattel is having a hard time financially.






No comments:
Post a Comment