This entry features my No Me Queda Mas/Grammy Awards Selena Doll. This doll is based on Selena and the dress she wore in her music video "No Me Queda Mas". She also wore this dress to the 1994 Grammy Awards, where she won the Grammy for Best Mexican/American Album of 1993. The album was titled "Selena Live!" The dress is a gorgeous beaded gown, with beads going from top to trail.
This doll is often called the Selena Grammy Doll, but the hairstyle and earrings are what she wore in the "No Me Queda Mas" video. Here's a comparison:
This is a hard to find doll, and I am lucky to have her. I bought her last Summer when I saw her in an ad on craigslist. She had never been removed from her box, and I was reluctant to debox her, due to her rarity.
The doll was released in 1997.
Selena in the box:
The back of the box features a portrait of Selena wearing the dress, as well as a few words about Selena and her legacy. It is printed in both English and Spanish.
Selena Deboxed:
This Selena doll comes with her dress, silver purse, silver (chrome) high heels, and a hair comb with a holographic sticker featuring the "Selena" logo.
The Selena Grammy Doll / No Me Queda Mas Doll has an intricate hairdo.
The person who owned this doll before me had accidentally stored the box with something weighing down on the middle of the box, right over Selena's hands. This weight bent the right hand back, over time. This was remarkable to me, because before I had seen the doll, I had been wondering how to have her holding a Grammy award. This accident completely solved my problem. The hand is bent back exactly as the real Selena's hand was positioned while holding her Grammy award. The bent hand is the only thing wrong with this doll, and it was something I was going to do anyway. What a cool thing to happen!
(I was able to find a 1:12 scale old record player miniature online for 3 dollars. It doesn't look exactly like the Grammy award, but it is close enough for me.)
Here are pictures of Selena wearing this dress:
More Info:
The doll was made in China and distributed by ARM Enterprise.
Visit Selena's only official website here
A NEW Selena doll is in the works from Danbury Mint. This new doll will be released later this year, and will be made of porcelain. She will stand 16 inches tall, and she will be wearing the same dress as the doll I'm featuring. This doll, named the "Selena Portrait Doll", will be fashioned after the 1994 Grammys appearance, not the No Me Queda Mas music video appearance. The dress will feature beadwork. You can see the official page for the new porcelain doll HERE. The asking price is a little high, but it's a must-have for a big Selena fan. I wish they had made the doll to be 12 inches, because that's the size of all my dolls, but I'll make an allowance for a slightly larger doll, since it's very well made.
Here's what Danbury Mint projects the doll to look like:
HOMEWORK:
Who is your favorite Grammy Award winner? Whose Grammy Awards red-carpet fashions do you like the best?























No comments:
Post a Comment