Monday, June 24, 2013

The 40th Anniversary Barbie

This entry features my 40th Anniversary Barbie. I recently found her via my local craigslist. I've wanted to add her to my collection for a few months, and was glad to have the chance to do so at a good price. She had never been removed from her box, nor had her lid been opened. Of course I had to take her out!


(Picture from Mattel)



Organza Eleganza!

She wears black strappy heels with black pantyhose.


Her hair is in a lovely French Twist:




Mattel has this to say about the Anniversary Barbie: "Who but Barbie® could look even better on her 40th anniversary than on her first debut? 1959 meets 1999 as Barbie® doll dons a black flock bodice shimmering with silvery glitter nostalgically reminiscent of her original 1959 striped-pattern bathing suit. Her slim silhouette gown of black organza spills to a delicate tulip hemline. An illusion neckline of sheer black and daring dangly earrings offset her soft French twist and exquisitely charming face. Adding a dynamic touch to celebrate her 40th anniversary is a bountiful bouquet of 40 pink "roses," which she gracefully holds in her arms that are covered with sheer black opera-length gloves. A miniature replica of the original 1959 doll and package are included."


She comes with a stand and a certificate of authenticity. Unfortunately, the dress was too tight to get the stand on. (I used a Fashion Royalty doll stand for my pictures.)



I love her dress, and I adore the miniature original Barbie that she comes with. I like the miniature almost as much as I like the regular Barbie :)


I've always thought that the original Barbie faces looked a little cranky...


Ken also got a special 40th Anniversary edition in 1999. I think he looks a lot like Gabriel Byrne.


The lovely African American Anniversary Barbie and Ken editions were also released.


I could have sworn I'd seen a brunette Barbie as well, but I can't find her now.

This edition is also known as "40th Anniversary Collector Edition 1999 Barbie Doll".


The box had 2 stickers on both sides which kept the lid closed. This is one of the stickers.


HOMEWORK: What anniversaries are important in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment