Sunday, January 29, 2017

Just In Time For African American History Month

Two days away from February, and I have already started celebrating Black History Month!


Black History Month, also known as African-American History Month in America, is an annual observance in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom for remembrance of important people and events in the history of the African diaspora. It is celebrated in the United States and Canada in February, and the United Kingdom in October. (Wikipedia)


Today, I went to the thrift store and to Walmart, and I had several lucky finds. Incidentally, the Barbie dolls I found at both stores were African American. At Walmart, I found two of the newer/newish Fashionista dolls on clearance for 2 dollars each, as well as the Nikki Light-Up Heart Hands for 4 dollars. I was super excited at the price, because I have never found Barbie on clearance for that price. I often see others find great clearance prices on dolls and doll accessories, and it kind of bummed me out because I never find them myself. Well, I can't say that anymore :) Anyway, here are the Walmart finds:


Here are the stock photos for them: (Sorry for the poor quality of my photos, I was rushing this time!) The first one is not exactly what I have. Mine has all black hair (or possibly very dark brown) where the stock photo has lighter hair.





The Fashionista girls I got are darker in person than in the stock photos, which I really like, because I really like the darker skinned African American dolls.

The thrift store find was a newish Fashionista also, with the flat feet. I LOVE the shoes, you can't see in the photo, but they're made of this lovely opalescent/iridescent plastic. I must apologize to her for not brushing her hair for the photo.


She didn't have her necklace or purse, but that is fine. I already had the necklace she came with, and I have tons of purses. The doll's skin color in the stock photo is lighter than mine, as well as the shirt being pink where mine is blue.


She has the Goddess face mold. All of these new girls will look great on new articulated bodies when I find some.

Also at Walmart, I found an Ever After High Apple White for 2 dollars. She is the new kind that has a molded on shirt instead of fabric, and doesn't have poseable arms, but she has accessories (shoes, tiara, skirt, and necklace) that I can take off and use for my other EAH/MH dolls. Mine is in the group photo above, but here's the stock photo. The stock photo has a lighter top color, mine is really gold, as well as tan shoes where mine are red. I don't know that she came with a stand, I don't think so because this is from the new, cheaper line.



I have recently bought a couple of the curvy AA Fashionista girls, and I especially LOVE the one with blonde highlights (again, the photos show lighter skin where in person it is darker). First the stock photo, then mine:


I put a clear rubber band in her hair to help keep it in place. She has cornrows on the other side of her head. I absolutely love this girl!



I bought the other curvy AA/mixed race one for her outfit, and originally planned to donate her to the thrift store, but she grew on me so I kept her as well. In these photos of her, she is wearing a purple normal-sized Barbie dress that I thought might fit due to the cut of the dress. It did fit reasonably well. In the other photos, she is wearing part of the outfit from the Raven Symone doll from The Cheetah Girls dolls. I hoped it would fit, but the Cheetah Girls doll had a slightly smaller body, so it is very tight. I could separate the top though, as that would fit (AND look cute). I have the second outfit, but I don't have it handy to try on her. I tried it on my Rosie O'Donnell doll, and it was a tight fit, so it probably will be also on the curvy Fashionistas. Tight but workable.


Thanks to Atamaii.tv for their photo of the Cheetah Girls doll and outfits!

My last quick mentions are 2 sets of shoes; one from Walmart, which has sandals and white tennis shoe platforms for the flat footed ones, and the other from the thrift store, a set of boots from 2002.


You can find a better photo of the new shoe pack here, it is the second photo. This listing is from the wonderful Royalty Girl blog, which has tons of great photos and doll things.

That's all for now, I hope you enjoyed this! Have a great day and a great February!



No comments:

Post a Comment