Monday, October 21, 2013

2010 Harley-Davidson Barbie And Ken Giftset

Get your motors runnin'.... Head out on the highway! This entry will feature the 2010 Harley Davidson Barbie and Ken Gift set!


This set, released February 18, 2010, is Pink Label. It contains the Ken and Barbie dolls, two stands, two helmets, and the certificate of authenticity.


Mattel's description of the set is this:

"Get your motor running! Barbie® and Ken® strap on their stylish Harley helmets for the ride of a lifetime. This giftset features beautiful blond Ken dressed in black, and gorgeous brunette Barbie® sporting a stylish white biker ensemble. Together, they make a striking pair as they hit the open road!"

THE DOLLS:

I'll start with the Barbie of this set.


The 2010 Harley-Davidson Barbie is pretty rockin'. She wears a faux-leather pant and jacket combo with a black Harley-Davidson top. Her brunette hair is worn in the bumpit/bump-it hairstyle.


Her smoky eye makeup matches well, and is all the more accentuated by the pale lip. She has pewter-colored hoop earrings.


She has dark grey nailpolish.


She even has a jeweled pierced belly button!


She has a ModelMuse bodytype with knees that bend. this is the first time I have seen this on a ModelMuse body, and I love it.


What I love even more is that the legs are held at the hips by elastic. This elastic and the posable knee makes the legs moveable in ways that the typical MM body isn't capable of.
She can ride her boyfriend's Harley, and she can put her feet behind her head.


This great range of leg motion exacerbates the fact that her arms can do almost nothing.

Barbie comes with her faux-leather jacket that features a working zipper.


Her black top has the Harley-Davidson logo shape.



KEN:


All of the reviews that I have read about this set have raved over the new Ken, and with good reason. He is my favorite Ken, both of all the Kens I own and of all Kens made altogether. He comes wearing an authentic Harley-Davidson outfit of a long-sleeve shirt and faux-leather pants, complete with wallet chain.


Besides the amazing articulation, body, and face, Ken comes with a great tattoo on his left forearm.


I wish Ken had come with a matching leather jacket. Barbie got hers, I don't see why Ken didn't.

They both have His and Hers sunglasses and helmets. (pictured his first, hers second)


I love Barbie's sunglasses, with the little metallic skull. Ken's sunglasses have just a round metallic dot.


I have read several reviews and commentaries on this Harley Barbie and Ken set. Ken has not recieved a negative word, only raves. Not so raved-about is the Barbie of the set. Although she looks great in her own right, she loses awe, simply because the brightest spotlight is on the Ken. The 2010 Harley Barbie seems more like she started dating Harley-boy Ken, and bought the outfit just to try to please him and go along with his love of Harley...

I believe the reason is this: In 2009, Mattel released a Harley-Davidson Barbie that was simply amazing, complete with back tattoo work. Here is her photo:


Need I say more? Pairing the 2010 Harley-Davidson Ken with the 2009 Harley-Davidson Barbie pictured above, the set would have been a ten-plus. It would be hard to out-do 2009 Harley Barbie, with her pink chaps and back tattoo. The 2010 Harley Ken and the 2009 Harley Barbie would make THE Harley couple. 2009 Harley Barbie looks to be more his equal. With all of the luke-warm reviews of the 2010 Barbie, perhaps Mattel should have released the Ken seperately. Of course, this Ken is a hard act to follow. But I will say this about the 2010 Harley Barbie: while she may not work as a Biker Barbie, she definitely holds ground as a Rocker Chick. She'll look perfect with a rock 'n roll outfit. She also looks pretty good in this Rocker Chic outfit I put together:


So she has hope after all, and hope is always a good thing.

Ken's wallet chain is hooked to his belt loop, and the end is sewn to the back pocket. I had a doll's faux-leather bracelet that I had taken apart recently (I used the chain for an anklet), and I saw that the remaining fake leather part would be perfect for a wallet for Ken! I took the chain off of the pants and attached it properly to Ken's new 'wallet'. It is perfect.


Additional photos:


HOMEWORK: Have you ever ridden a motorcycle?

2 comments:

  1. Great review of this set. Looks like you had a lot of fun posing the Barbie. Great pics of the back of the Barbie jacket too. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete