Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Selena Forever Doll Vol. 1 - Amor Prohibido Doll

This entry features another Selena doll of mine, the Amor Prohibido edition. I am featuring this doll today to commemorate the 19th anniversary of the release of Selena's "Amor Prohibido" album, released today in 1994.


This 11-12" fashion doll wears a recreation of the outfit Selena wore in the photo used for the cover of her "Amor Prohibido" album.


(Check out Selena's only official website here!)

Tea and Backstory: On this day in 1994, Selena released her 5th studio album, titled "Amor Prohibido" ("Forbidden Love"). Several songs from this album would reach #1, and the title track from the album would garner Selena a Grammy nomination. Billboard credits five singles from the album, "Amor Prohibido", "Bidi Bidi Bom Bom", "No Me Queda Más", "Techno Cumbia" and "Fotos y Recuerdos", as having reached number one on the Hot Latin Tracks charts. This album was a big commercial success, selling over half a million copies by December of that year. To date, over 2 million copies have been sold.

Selena was a fashion icon, and a successful fashion designer; she had launched her own clothing line and fashion boutique, "Selena Etc" the year before Amor Prohibido's release, with multiple locations in Texas and Mexico. (Visit Selena's website here for all things Selena!)

THE DOLL:
This doll was released in 1999. It is a rare collector's doll, as there were not many made. It is no longer available for retail anywhere. This doll can be found for sale on Ebay, Amazon, and other sites.

I found this doll on my local craigslist.org in the summer of 2012. I bought it along with 2 other Selena dolls that the previous owner had. I was very excited to find this doll, and I paid a reasonably good price for it. I have found pictures of this doll online with 2 different box designs, which tempts me to buy the other doll with the box I don't have. As far as I can tell, the doll itself is the same, only the boxes are different.

Here she is in her box immediately after my purchase:


These are the alternate box releases (I don't know who to credit for the pictures):


I love this doll. The attention to the detail of the costume is wonderful. The faux leather outfit is a match down to the last detail of the original.

Here are some shots of my doll:


Here are some photos of Selena wearing this outfit:


Here are some good pictures for comparing her face to the doll's face...


I still love the doll. I may put the outfit on the newer Selena doll with a more realistic face at some point in the future.

There is a one of a kind repainted Amor Prohibido doll out there, somewhere. I found these photos of it and thought I would share. If only all the dolls were this close!


I think that this doll is wonderful. It should be a part of any serious Selena memorabilia collection!

Here's the video to Bidi Bidi Bom Bom, my favorite song ever:



HOMEWORK: Do you own any dolls that are considered 'rare' or 'one of a kind'? What are they?

No comments:

Post a Comment