Friday, May 10, 2013

75th Anniversary Wizard of Oz Barbie Dolls: Dorothy, Glinda The Good Witch, & The Wicked Witch of the West

Hello, Dolls! Come out, come out, where ever you are…




This entry will feature my brand new Barbie Collector Wizard of Oz Barbies: Dorothy Gale Barbie Doll (Based on Judy Garland), Glinda, The Good Witch Barbie Doll (Based on Billie Burke), and The Wicked Witch Of The West Barbie Doll (Based on Margaret Hamilton). I just got these dolls in today, and I am happy to share them with you.


It really was no miracle, what happened was just this: In February, I received an email from BarbieCollector.com notifying me that it would soon be March 9, which is Barbie’s birthday. They were celebrating by having a 25% off site-wide sale. I had forgotten about the sale until a fabulous blog I follow, Helen's Doll Saga, posted about the sale just before it began. Thank goodness for her post! I immediately searched through the site for all the goodies I could buy. While I was looking around, I came across the yet-to-be-released trio of dolls celebrating The Wizard of Oz 's 75th Anniversary – Dorothy Gale, Glinda the Good Witch, and The Wicked Witch Of The West.



I did not know that these dolls were in existence, and I wasn’t able to pass them up. I pre-ordered them at the Birthday sale price. I was told that they wouldn’t be released until the end of May to the beginning of June, so it was a pleasant surprise to find out that my dolls were on their way at the beginning of May.



I have had a very Oz-oriented Spring so far. I was lucky enough to find the 70th anniversary collector’s edition of The Wizard of Oz (with bluray) on craigslist for 18 dollars. That’s an overly amazing price… the set sells consistently for over 100 dollars. The set even came in the original cardboard shipping box, which is great because it will keep the set from being damaged.




My set didn’t have the watch that came with it originally, but that is fine with me. I can find it on ebay someday if I feel the need to. (The watch came in a collectable tin box.)


Then this weekend, I found another Oz jewel at another Oz-mazing price… At my local Animal Humane Society Thrift Store, I found this commemorative Wizard of Oz clock for five dollars. This clock originally sold for about thirty dollars when it came out in 2008.


And of course the new film, “Oz, the Great And Powerful” was released in March.



(I haven’t seen it yet, though, because I prefer to buy the movie and watch it in the comfort of my own home. The bluray/DVD release is scheduled for June 11.) The Disney Store has released some fabulous doll versions of the characters from this new film, both high quality collectible dolls and dolls you can let your kids play with. I hope to buy them someday.

But back to The Wizard of Oz.







The Wizard of Oz is a musical film that came out in 1939. It is an adaptation of the novel “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz” by L. Frank Baum, released in 1900. The film stars Judy Garland as Dorothy Gale, Billie Burke as Glinda the Good Witch, and Margaret Hamilton as The Wicked Witch Of The West.

The Scarecrow was played by Ray Bolger...



The Tin Man by Jack Haley...



and The Cowardly Lion by Bert Lahr.



Frank Morgan played The Wizard and Professor Marvel, as well as several smaller roles throughout the film.



This film is a worldwide classic, and has been a favorite of mine since I was very young. My grandmother taped one of the telecasts of the film in the early 1990's, and I watched it many, many times throughout my childhood. Now into my adulthood, I have the bluray to watch.

THE DOLLS:


(I couldn't resist recreating a scene.)

Throughout the years, Mattel has released many versions of the characters from Oz, but this new release is something different; for the first time ever, these dolls are sculpted in the likeness of the actresses that played the characters. Mattel has done a very good job with these three ladies.

DOROTHY GALE:






The Wizard of Oz Dorothy Barbie Doll is sculpted to look like Judy Garland, in her role as Dorothy Gale.



She comes with her beloved Toto in a basket.


Toto was played by Terry, a Cairn Terrier.



And you can't have Dorothy without the famous Ruby Slippers, now, can you!




THE WICKED WITCH OF THE WEST:




The Wicked Witch of the West Barbie Doll is sculpted to look like Margaret Hamilton, in her role as The Wicked Witch of the West.



She comes with her flying broom.


I just love the Wicked Witch, and the doll is great. When I ordered her, I was worried that her arms were not poseable. When I got her out of the box, that was the first thing I checked. Her arms do bend at the elbow. She may look a bit like a slightly younger Wicked Witch, but there's nothing wrong with that.




GLINDA THE GOOD WITCH:




The Glinda Barbie Doll is sculpted to look like Billie Burke, in her role as Glinda The Good Witch.



She comes with her long magic wand. Her arms bend at the elbow.

I love how true her dress is to the original.




It would be hard to pick a favorite, but if I had to, I would say that my favorite would be the Wicked Witch. I may not have bought the dolls if she hadn’t been made. What can I say? I’m a sucker for villains. I do love Glinda, too, and you can’t have the Witches without Dorothy!

Side note of another recent Dorothy Barbie… Mattel has a Miss Dorothy Gale doll that is fabulous. I must have her someday. This version of Dorothy Gale is of a more grown-up variety… Here, have a look!



At this time, Mattel does not have any any other Oz characters in this 75th Anniversary series.

>

If they have no plans of releasing any more characters in the series, then I will buy previous editions of the Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Cowardly Lion via the secondary market. My favorite Mattel releases of The Tin Man and The Cowardly Lion were released just a few years ago in 2009, and my favorite Scarecrow from the 1990s.



These guys are no longer available from Mattel, but since these dolls are still rather new, they’re plentiful on the secondary market. For example, there’s a listing for them on my local craigslist.org.

Also released from Mattel in more recent years are a series of Kelly dolls dressed as members of the Munchkin community. These must be added to my Oz doll collection as well someday. Here are a few of the Kelly Munchkin dolls.





There has even been a release of The Wicked Witch Of The East, the Witch that Dorothy’s house landed on. In the film,The Wicked Witch of the East wasn’t any more than a pair of legs wearing the Ruby Slippers...


But designers at Mattel dreamed up what she may have looked like, and their vision of this Witch is absolutely fantastic.

Isn’t she gorgeous?! She is no longer available from Mattel, but I hope to add her to my display someday.

Another someday-must-have is Ken as one of the Wicked Witch’s guards, accompanied by one of her flying monkies.

I would love to have several of these little flying monkey dolls in my collection!

Here are some additional pictures of the dolls and their boxes:

The Wicked Witch's background & Glinda and Dorothy's background (Glinda and Dorothy had the same background):

HOMEWORK:

No comments:

Post a Comment